Monday, April 11, 2011

April 4, 2010. One year later

We spent 2 days in Egypt.  The first day was spent checking into our hotel (which was the most incredible hotel you can imagine), seeing yet another mosque (we were about "mosqued-out" by this point) and taking a dinner cruise on the Nile River.

This was our hotel in Cairo.  Somehow we lucked out and got a better suite than everyone else.  I don't know how we managed that but we were pretty stoked.




























































And as nice as our view was from the windows in our room (we had a panoramic view of Cairo and the Nile River), this is the view from the back window.  And this is unfortunately how I will always remember Cairo.  The filth and third-world living conditions will forever be branded in my mind.
















After we checked into our hotel, we had a little bit of time to ourselves to spend however we'd like.  We decided to explore the area around our hotel and I'm telling you, it was like stepping back into time.






























This is the mosque we toured.  The inside was actually very beautiful despite what it represented.
































































And this was the dinner cruise on our first night in Cairo.  The Nile is so pretty if you can allow yourself to look past the crumbling, deteriorating buildings and trash floating in the water...



































































After the dinner cruise, we went to downtown Cairo to do a little shopping (I finally got the necklace I'd been searching for since Athens)...












...as well as see the Sound & Light show at the Pyraminds.  The Sound & Light show was a bit cliche but is a must-see nonetheless.  It told the story of the Pharaohs and the history of the pyramids.  But it was FREEZING!  They aren't kidding when they say the desert gets cold at night!  We were in Egypt in April and never would have imagined I'd need a jacket.  It was hard for me to enjoy the show bc I was so cold.  But I powered through :)

































After the light show, we headed back to the hotel (saw a random camel in a downtown alley which cracked us up) and I relaxed in my robe & slippers and prepared for a busy next day at the pyramids.



No comments:

Post a Comment